Saturday, November 21, 2015

volatility - Proof of approximation formulas for implied volatilities



I am trying to calibrate a local volatility model to observed implied volatility smiles (not surfaces!, just a smile given for fixed maturity).


I ran into the following approximation, and thought I could plug in my implied volatility formula, and solve for local volatility; $$\sigma_{i}^2(K,T) = \frac{\sigma^2(S(0), 0) + \sigma^2(K,T)}{2}.$$


$\sigma_i$ is implied volatility.


My question however is, where does this approximation come from?


I know Dupire's formula, you know the one that is a fraction of two integrals. I can't quite find it, but is it from that the approx is derived? If so, how?




No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...