Saturday, November 14, 2015

forms - Should read-only text appear as plain text or in a read-only textbox?


Should I use labels for read-only information, or should I use read-only text boxes to maintain the look of the fields?


It seems to me that if something is in a textbox it implies there is some way to edit it, whereas plain text is explicitly read-only.


Update: While my question is similar to Locking input form fields, does it make sense?, mine is different in that I'm referring to fields that are never editable by anyone. It's not based on the user's rights or role.


mockup


download bmml source – Wireframes created with Balsamiq Mockups



Answer



If it's uneditable, show it as plain text, no text field.


Putting uneditable text in a text field can cause confusion. The user might wonder (and with good cause) why they can't edit the value.



No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...