Saturday, November 28, 2015

Is publishing to Amazon Kindle-alternative eBook markets worth the time and effort?


I have published a few collection Kindle eBooks, and am planning on publishing at least 3 more in the not-too-distant future. While my experience with the Kindle marketplace has been mostly positive, I have been wondering about the other options out there (such as Nook, Lulu, Google Books).


Has anyone published using multiple platforms and seen a decent amount of increase in their sales to warrant the (admittedly small) amount of effort it would take to publish to those other marketplaces?



Would an independent writer be better off locking in to only the Kindle marketplace, given the tools available to the writer through Amazon?



Answer



I think that there is definitely an advantage to publishing to other venues/formats. From a simplicity standpoint, I use Smashwords to distribute my e-books to other markets, such as B&N, Kobo, and Apple. They don't pay as frequently (once per quarter), but they do make it a lot easier to get into more markets. I also like having the ability to generate coupons so that I can offer certain titles for free to selected individuals. This comes in handy if you want to offer a copy to a reviewer, especially since they can go there and choose whatever format they prefer.


As to whether or not the sales warrant it, that answer depends on your book(s). Some titles may do well while others struggle to find an audience. It all depends on what you do to promote on that platform. I have several titles that I have published under a pen name, and I find that they do very well with B&N (Nook). To give you a point of comparison, I sold over 60 copies of one title last week on Kindle, and 36 copies of the same title at B&N.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...