Wednesday, November 4, 2015

branding - If a logo implies movement, should that movement be mirrored to match the movement of a vehicle it's placed on?


I've designed a nice logo for a company's charity food-drive campaign that incorporates a tilt and some speed lines to imply forward (rightward) movement. I matched the tilt of the art to the italic font I used for the logo text.


The client wants a vehicle wrap incorporating this logo.


Is it more important to preserve the original form of the logo for consistency/memorability, or should I make a variant where the direction of travel is reversed, so the logo is moving forward in the same direction as the vehicle on both sides?



I would be reflecting the lean-angle of the text too, which hurts my soul a little, but doesn't look too warped.



Answer



It depends on the logo and how it's done. You should avoid reversing the logo, but it may make sense in rare cases to reverse it. For example, Nike reverses their logo on their high socks when their logo is on the ankle (but PUMA doesn't seem to). As mentioned in the comments, it's pretty common practice for airlines to mirror their logo on their planes as well, especially on their tails.


Ultimately there's no hard rule, do whatever works best in your case. If you do reverse the direction, make sure it is done well and matches the desired branding.


No comments:

Post a Comment

technique - How credible is wikipedia?

I understand that this question relates more to wikipedia than it does writing but... If I was going to use wikipedia for a source for a res...